marissa

marissa

Monday, November 21, 2011

Feast vs. Famine

Thanksgiving is 3 days away! I know, Icanbelievable! This holiday season is darting right at us and our waistlines. Now we find ourselves teetering between two extremes, feast and famine. How do we find a nice balance that won't put all our hard work to shame? Five seconds in your mouth is not worth feeling like a tranquilized grizzly bear moaning on the living room floor.



Here are my tips for all the looming abundance of meals and holiday parties, which I will also struggle to follow. It's worked for me so far.


  • Ladies, do not wear loose clothing. Keep it snug, keep it uncomfortable to the point where you can't even imagine minor bloating or feeling full in the outfit you're wearing. That will keep you in control and keep you sucking in. Also, wear shoes that keep you sober. The tricky, painful ones that force you to a one drink maximum. You will save on empty calories and probably salvage the remnants of your reputation as well. You're welcome.
  • Skip the nonsense.  Pass up the hor d'oeuvres, croquetas, and sodium-saturated pre-snacks. I'd rather have  a glass of wine to carry me into the main course than take in 1,000 calories before we actually sit down to eat. 
  • Don't go to a dinner/party/both starving. I am guilty of not eating at least 4 hours before an event, that way I feel skinnier in my outfit (girls are ridiculous I know) and have to battle my hunger once I leave my house. Grab a protein bar, some nuts, or something lean that will hold you over for a couple hours. We tend to eat with our eyes so when surrounded by an excess of treats, we find it hard to control our cravings. Go mingle with people rather than post up next to the food tables. Having a conversation will keep your mouth talking, not chewing.
  • Eat what you really like. Do not just try everything to be a courteous pushover. Go with your favorites and have a little of them. I'm a meat and veggie lover. I'll indulge a little more with the turkey and green beans instead of the mashed potatoes and yams. I'll take a tryptophan coma any day!
  • I'm not a huge dessert person. I thank baby Jesus for this. I'll take a piece of dark chocolate over pies and cookies. Many of you love sweets so again, stick with your favorites. A nice piece of pecan pie or maybe you just want a good post-dinner coffee and maybe a biscotti. I also don't go for the just-out-of-the-package desserts. I mean, you can try a pumpkin pie from Publix every holiday season; it never changes. Try the treats that are homemade by a member of Paula Deen's lineage at least! Prioritize people.
  • Snooze the booze. Stick with the clear drinks, dark wines, and maybe a glass of bubbly. My go-to cocktail is vodka/seltzer with lime. Minimal calories and straight to the point. No excess sugars, additives, etc. Monitor your intake and remember that you are most likely surrounded by relatives, co-workers, in-laws, etc. so don't be disastrous. Wines are always a good option because they require slow sipping. Champagne can be fulfilling after just one glass too. No need to down the whole bottle Miss Lohan. 
  • Remember that life continues after the holidays, meaning you will have to live with the guilt of your excessive holiday party habits. If you were the disaster walking barefoot around the marble staircase of your boss's home, or if you can't even look at your workout clothes anymore, shame on you. It's just not worth it. Thankfully I have a half marathon right between Turkey Day and Christmas so I really can't just blow it. I think New Year's resolutions to "get fit" and "lose weight" are so overplayed and overrated. My spinning classes will be packed up to February, then as expected, attendance dwindles. The same happens in the summer during bikini season.  


Keep it healthy all year. Blowing it during the holidays is just not worth it. We want to look and feel our best during those times. Time to show off your new dress, button-down, whatever it may be.

YOLO.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

MariBLOG. Powered by Blogger.

© My M.O., All Rights Reserved.